The Three Hills Capital was first published by Hubert Peters in 1916. In those days the front page contained the local content and the remainder was provided by a national news service. Each issue averaged four to six pages.
C.H Leathley would purchase the company in 1922 followed by John A. Strathchane and Ed Rouleau in the 1930’s, Claude J. Davidson in the 1940’s, Barney Neutzling from about 1945-1956 and Bob Dau and Wilfred Schmidt in 1956. The Dau family would soon buy Wilfred’s shares in the business.
Timothy J. Shearlaw was hired as an Advertising Sales Representative in September of 1976. He became publisher in 1980 and welcomed his wife Theresa to the company. The Shearlaws purchased the company from the Dau family in May of 1988 and own it to this day.
The Three Hills Capital has had a distribution contract with Kneehill County since 1958. A name change to “ The Capital” took place when Tim successfully negotiated additional circulation contracts with the Town of Trochu and Villages of Linden, Acme, and Carbon, making The Capital a regional community newspaper.
The Capital is now the eighth largest paid circulation community newspaper in the Alberta Weekly Newspapers Association. Capital Printers LTD. is the oldest, established business in the Town of Three Hills and the Shearlaw family prides itself on presenting local news, advertising and editorial comment that is current and relevant within the region it serves.
Jay Shearlaw joined his parents company in 2000 and took the newspaper from cut and paste to fully digital pagination. Jay is Production Manager as well as Webmaster.
With the launch of threehillscapital.com readers now receive daily updates on breaking news, events, real estate, weather, and more.