Descendants return to Three Hills

Ninety-nine years ago, the Vasseur family moved from Calais, France to Canada with the promise of "the land of opportunity", like so many other immigrants in the early 1900s. That opportunity eventually brought them to the Three Hills area in 1916 where they settled as farmers and opened the Ghost Pine Mine.
Descendants of Leonce Sr. and Ambroisine Vasseur, coincidentally 99 registered in total, returned to Three Hills this August 14 for a family reunion, 99 years after the family placed their feet on Canadian soil. They travelled from locations across Alberta and BC, with many family members still living in the Three Hills area.
After a brief stay in the Crowsnest Pass, the first generation family of nine moved to the Ghost Pine area east of Three Hills, after hearing news of the good farmland in this area.
Purchasing one quarter section of land for $25 per acre, the Vasseur's settled in Ghost Pine. They all lived in a tent, though Aimee worked for a family in Wayne and Maria moved to town to live with Mr. Morgan, the real estate agent, who claimed "it wasn't proper for a girl to be living in a tent with all those boys." The family built a one room house that fall.
Gradually, the boys purchased land of their own. George purchased the home place.
The seven children who accompanied their parents to Canada (three were deceased), are no longer living - Rene, Leonce Jr., Aimee Morel, Maria Gottolliat, Andrew, Arthur and George. George's wife, Thelma, the only living spouse of the seven children, resides in Stoney Plain.
Their children in attendance at the reunion, were Yvonne Braconnier, June Kanderka, Genevieve Agnew, Paul and Robert Vasseur, Marguerite Looten and Lorraine Maerz.
The reunion was held at the Three Hills Station House and Museum. Mr. Flewelling compiled a display that included some of the antiques used by the Vasseur's, as well as a map of their land.