REED, Isaiah Watson

Watson Reed

“Lovie, I’m coming home!” - It is time to say good-bye to Isaiah Watson Reed, who passed away at St Mary’s Health Center in Trochu, Alberta, on Friday, December 13th, with love surrounding him. He was only 91! Watson leaves behind two sisters, Eunice Berreth and Beth (Willie) Creighton as well as a sister-in-law, Ruth Andrews. Watson was born to Marcus and Florence Reed on July 30, 1928, just south east of Three Hills. His grandfather passed the day after he was born – which is how Dad inherited the name of Isaiah Watson! At the tender age of one year, Dad lost his own father. When he was 7, Florence married “Pop” Price. Dad loved him so much. They shared a great love of horses and spent a lot of time together. Unlike our Mom, Dad hated school. He preferred to learn by doing, and from the many stories he told us, he learned a lot! In fact, our Dad could fix anything, or build anything. He was an remarkable handy man. Dad had many jobs throughout his life, but perhaps the most notable was his position of the Mayor of Ghost Pine. Dad ran the Ghost Pine Store and delivered the mail for many years in the area. He was also a telephone repair man, leaving the house at all hours and in weather not fit for man nor beast to fix the phone lines. Dad grew up only a mile across the field from the love of his life, Grace Andrews. They were married July 15, 1953 and were blessed with five extraordinary children! Mary (Rick) Poole, Hal (Marilyn) Reed, Ruth (Chris) Pelletier, Eileen (Bryan) McComish and Allen (Gail) Reed. From these came a multitude of grandchildren and great grandchildren. We spent our summers at the Red Deer River, swimming, fishing and climbing the hills, where Dad was always at hand to save one of us from a cactus attack! When we would invite him into the river for a swim, Dad would typically reply, “I can’t! I might get wet!” Our holidays were spent in a cabin up at Pine Lake. Dad would be up with the sun and out on the lake, fishing for perch. He would take us kids out, a couple at a time, doing the rotation, to fish with him, knowing that the expedition might be shortened by children who could not sit still for long. But, we also learned by experience. Dad was an avid Saskatchewan Roughrider fan, and we learned early not to disrupt his games, as he was on the edge of the couch, moving with every play, ready for the tackle. He was so intense!~Our Dad was a character – of this there is no doubt. His grandchildren will always remember the greetings of “little bugger”, knowing that was Dad’s way of saying, “I love you”. He always took the time to make each of them feel special, through games of cards, a sit down at the table with him or his sharing of butter and salt. We will all miss his sharp wit, catchy tunes and sense of humor, but are so thankful that he is now at peace. We cannot thank the staff at St. Mary’s Health Centre enough for the amazing care they gave our Dad. We are so thankful for each and every one of them. They made his journey so much easier, and ours as well. As per Dad’s wishes, our family will be holding a private gathering to send him off. If you wish, donations can be made to the St. Mary’s Health Centre, in Dad’s name.