Seniors Outreach - June 29, 2016

Are you aware of the Alberta Seniors Benefits Program (ASB)? The ASB program provides monthly income support to federal income sources including Old Age Security (OAS) and Guaranteed Income Supplement (GIS).

Eligibility for a benefit is determined by:

• The type of accommodation you live in.

• Your marital/cohabitation status.

• Your income (combined with your spouse/partner’s income, if applicable, regardless of their age).

• Have lived in Alberta for at least three months immediately before applying.

• Receiving federal OAS pension, ex: have lived in Canada for 10 years.

In general, for July 1, 2015 to June 30, 2016, a single senior with an annual income of $26,400 or less and senior couples with a combined income of $43,000 or less, are eligible for a cash benefit. Please note these income levels may change in July 2016. These income levels are guidelines only, and are for seniors whose income includes a full OAS pension.

You only need to apply once, but you need to notify the program if:

• You move to a new address.

• Your marital status changes.

• Your annual income changes.

• You do not file an individual income tax return.

• Your eligibility for the federal OAS pension changes.

If you have applied for the ASB Program and are dissatisfied with the decision made on your file, you can appeal the decision.

You are eligible to begin receiving benefits the month of your 65th birthday. If you are a new Alberta resident, you are eligible to begin receiving benefits the later of the following dates:

• The month of your 65th birthday.

• The month following three full months of permanent residency in Alberta (ex: if you moved to Alberta on July 15, you are eligible to receive benefits on October 1).

Benefits are retroactive for up to 11 months prior to the date your completed application form is received by ASB, but not earlier than you 65th birthday or three months of permanent residency in Alberta.

You are no longer eligible to receive benefits: 

• The month after you leave Alberta to live permanently in another province or county.

* In the month following when death occurs.

If you have any questions, please call our office at 403-443-2555 or the AB Supports Contact Centre at 1-877-644-9992. Please take note in the coming events section of today’s paper for office closures and for exciting coming events! Happy Summer!